- Project Management & Code Development
- Developed top-down "Mission-Based Coding" paradigm, incorporating Agile Spiral approach
- Managed up to 20 professionals in 1 or 2 tiers for four years, creating embedded cell phone games for Kyocera hardware
- Contract PM for JPL NASA humanoid robot software development project
- Contract PM for NASA Ames informatics project
- Created collision-free path-planning system for multiple robot arms holding parts
- Created robot simulator system
- Wrote IK routines for both arms and legs
- Created entire architecture of a humanoid robot that used binocular model-based computer vision and A.I.
- Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)
- Built action planning / scheduling system for SRI International
- Created ATMS (Assumption-Based Truth Maintenance System)
- Natural Language Understanding
- Created a domain-action-based conversation-understanding system for ATR Interpreting Telephone, as part of a speech-to-speech Japanese-to-English automatic translation basic research effort. Worked for five years in Kyoto, Japan.
- Created a Dialogue Management system for financial conversations.
- Knowledge Engineering & Expert Systems
- Created real-time inference engine in C++. Used it to drive a humanoid robot for space research.
- Created FLAIL expert-system language in Lisp. Used it to recognize and understand conversations.
- Created an embedded expert system for a communications crossbox-verification-tool prototype for a subcontractor to Harris.
- Interviewed leaders of Sprint departments and created business-object models of operations
- Machine Learning
- Created a k-means system to recommend advertising
- Created a k-NN system to predict tastes and recommend products
- Ran sentiment analysis on English NL blog postings
- Cognitive Systems
- Designed conversing, intentional autonomous agent architectures
- Created a NL-based small business advisor
- Created a responsive multi-agent system that guessed the intentions of other non-communicating agents
- System Design
- Designed 32-submodule system for NASA JPL
- Designed informatics website for NASA Ames
- Designed speech disambiguation and understanding system for ATR Interpreting Telephone
- Virtual Humans
- Designed conversing 3D human museum presentation system for interfaith initiative
- Computer Vision
- Created model-based color stereo object location/identification system for JPL
- Programmed usage of ceiling-based and hand-based cameras for a distributed robot station
- Created 2nd-order probability mathematics for solving uncertainty problems having to do with meta-decisions (e.g. multi-arm bandit problems)
- Bayesian reasoning
- Parallel Systems Dispatching & Scheduling
- Created multi-agent heterogeneous parallel-system dispatching system for tasks with uncertain values, rather similar to MAP / REDUCE
- Speech Recognition & Generation
- Produced efforts to capture voice phonemes.
- Created system for disambiguation of spoken language parses.
- Integrated speech recognition and speech generation into a robot.
- 3D Graphics
- Produced various 3D graphics initiatives, from conceptual design, through modeling, textures, to animation
- Computer Game Development
- Created arcade games
- Created games for cell phones
- Sprint circuit planning, load balancing
- Verizon BREW games
- Cell Phone Application Development
- Created embedded cell phone games for Kyocera, the world's #8 largest maker of handsets. Contracts ran over five years.
- Financial Systems, Financial Structuring
- Created expert system to evaluate fundamentals and value stocks
- Created machine-learning system to recognize when the market is out of balance.
- Helped maintain the BioCyc.com Lisp-based biology encyclopedia for SRI International.
- Created a prototype genome browser.
- Created a quadratic-time large-molecule "atom matcher" that sped up the previous factorial-time design.
- Created Ajax-driven front end for BioBike general-purpose Lisp bioinformatics computation tool
- Building annotation tool for Phantome bioinformatics database
- Linguistics & Semantics
- Analyzed Speech Acts in Japanese dialogues for ATR Interpreting Telephone.
- Created semantic understanding system for a conference-registration domain.
- Marketing, Branding, and Viral P.R.
- Directed design of branding for a startup ring-tone company. Directed marketing roll-out efforts.
- Directed magazine ad campaign for startup's travel information product.
- Directed post-card direct-mailing campaign for accountant's practice launch.
- Industrial Flow Optimization
- Analyzed an entire 400-person computer-assisted film production company, American Film Technologies. Provided improvements that led to 55% drop in network traffic, and a 70% drop in disk usage, thereby significantly improving the throughput and efficiency of the company as a whole.
- Small Business Strategy
- Designed $2M strategy for a startup company.
- Computer Language Design
- Created expert system language FLAIL.
- Created Knowledge/Action Representation Language K/ARL.
- Helped design & create, and implemented, nested-boxes visual programming language for front end for BIOBIKE.
- Wrote parsers for various languages.
- Philosophy, Logic, Ontologies
- Created five-valued logic (Actual, Possible, Hypothetical, Inconsistent, Unknown) for multi-agent interaction knowledge representation. Published paper in COLING.
- Corrected fallacies in BDI theory.
- Created ontologies for business, stock conversations.
- Emotional Communication
- Trained in transformational short course design.
- Copy writing for long-form and short-form ads.
- MySQL / PHP / Ajax Web Production
- Created (directed/produced) deeply-nested JS database / web site for NASA Ames informatics project.
- Created deeply-nested 3-tier Ajax website front end (visual programming language) for a general-purpose Lisp-driven bioinformatics computational tool for a Virginia Commonwealth University project.
- Books, Media, Sound Production
- Created hardback and paperback books.
- Created multimedia CD-ROM.
- Created music, speech soundtracks.
- Teaching, Mentoring
- Taught short course in 3D kinematics and computer graphics at Westwood College
- Mentored employees and grad students in various technologies. One mentee doubled her salary after one year. Another legally blind mentee sought help for PTSD and was able to lead a functional life after my mentoring.