Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language, Speech, and Simulation
* Created walking, talking humanoid robot for NASA JPL for basic research on moon structure assembly
* 7 years in basic research as a robotics/vision staff consultant for SRI International
* Created a 3D virtual-reality system for robots
* Created collision-free path-planning system for multiple robot arms holding objects
* System integration of a 3-arm robotic satellite repair testbed for JPL
* Conversation understanding system for automatic translation between Japanese and English
* Expert system for small business management
* Assumption-based Truth Maintenance System for possible-worlds reasoning for a knowledge extraction system
* Deep semantics, speech act, and domain-plan understanding system for a conference registration task
* Sentiment analysis of postings on a Sears blog
* Speech-recognition disambiguation system at the surface-semantics parse-tree level
* Embedded, fast, syntactic case disambiguation system for unconstrained English sentences parsing
* Compilable glass-box stream rewriting system for causal (real-time) large dictionary lookup
* Researched and developed a custom embedded natural-sounding TTS system for a startup initiative,
using proprietary neural-net classification, abstraction, and generation algorithms.
Operates locally in real-time, without need for an unreliable cloud connection.
Motion Control Platform and Simulation
* Integrated the hardware of a custom, Universal-Studios-style, full-sized vehicle-simulator Motion Control platform
with 2 d.o.f. (degrees of freedom) and mechanical special effects, into the 3D virtual-reality software of a completely untethered
physics-driven off-road vehicle with 6 d.o.f. I coordinated with the hardware and VR simulation teams to design, create, integrate, test, and prove an intelligent middleware layer plus control-theoretical motor driver layer, with an original software clutch to blend between both various modes and also conflicting physical and virtual orientation requirements, so as to successfully create a custom training ride experience. The end client renewed, twice.
* Created some of the first cell phone games in America, for Kyocera, the world's #8 handset manufacturer. These were built in at the factory, shipping from 2001-2004, including such games as Cavern Crawl, Mystic I Ching, and numerous versions of Tetris.
Computer Arcade Game Development
* Designed and produced such computer arcade games as Slugger's Alley, found in Dave & Buster's nationwide, for leading distributor Lazer-Tron.
User Interface Design
* Coin-operated games live and die by how easy, intuitive, and compelling their user interface is. A good user interface must be instantly understandable, even to young children. I designed the user interfaces for all of our games,
and directed their implementation.